Kolsterising® is an industry-proven, thermo-chemical, low-temperature, diffusion-based, surface hardening technology used to enhance certain grades of stainless steel, cobalt, and nickel-based alloys. Kolsterising® is not a coating but a low-temperature surface carbon diffusion treatment that enhances the hardness of an alloy 4-5 times that of the base material. The process adds large concentrations of carbon atoms that form high compressive stresses on the surface. These stresses and the filling of the interstitial sites by the carbon atoms not only significantly improves the hardness of the material, but also makes the surface resistant to corrosion, wear, and fatigue.
Kolsterising® is ideal for applications such as:
- Medical devices that require biocompatible materials
- Valve parts (balls, needles, seats, and housings)
- Food and beverage filling/dispensing machine pistons and seals
- Automotive components
- Marine parts
- Industrial fluid handling
- And so many more
- Galling in stainless steel alloys
- Metal debris
Why chose Kolsterising®?
- Complex shapes can be effectively hardened by this process
- It offers consistent diffusion depth
- Improved abrasive wear
- Improved cavitation erosion resistance
- Increased fatigue strength
- Elimination of galling and fretting
- Exceptional scratch resistance
- Does not affect the magnetic properties of the metal alloys
- Good dimensional stability
- No post treatments are necessary
- The process does not change the part color or dimensions
Kolsterising® allows designers and engineers to use more common and inexpensive materials (like 316L stainless), while giving them the performance of 465 and Nitronic alloys. The treatment can improve some austenitic and martensitic grades of metal, ferritic and duplex stainless steel, as well as certain cobalt-chromium and nickel-based alloys.
How can we help you?
Pure Tech Components is the premier UK distributor for UC Components, Inc. RediVac® line of fasteners, washers, hex nuts, and O-rings. We provide only the best specialised fasteners to a wide range of industries, including medical, food processing, optical, vacuum, semiconductor, and R&D. Partnering with us gives you the confidence and reassurance you need to concentrate on your customer’s needs without worrying or compromising on cost, quality, or customer service. Contact us today for more information or to place an order.